What is Vero? Should you Care?Feb 27, 2018
1) If being on every social media platform is important to you. Then Yes. Do it :) I did.
2) If checking things out for yourself is important to you, then yes!
(My most recent VERO post)
As an agency owner staying on top of trends, new software, and industry news is MIGHTY important. I read articles daily from my trusted source. Recently I've been seeing VERO pop up on more than one occasion. They've been doing a ton of PR. So I took the plunge. I don't generally jump onto every new platform that rears its head. I tend to go with my gut.
Vero is touching on the points that have so many social media users annoyed with Facebook and Instagram (the main culprits). People are tired of the feed, the ads, the bots/phishing and the data mining. Vero's WHY is noble. They want to make a social network that's about the people. Vero means truth in Esperanto.
My hesitation, my vero: Social networks are expensive to maintain, launch, promote and so on. Vero is going to need to make money. Subscription-based usage could do the trick. If people are willing to pay. They do make the disclaimer that businesses and brands can pay for the 'BUY NOW' feature (see it already begins).
I have been reading many articles about VERO and I can tell which are selling the product. This post is an honest look. No hidden motives.
Here are the facts...
The Facts: (taken from their manifesto, website, and various articles of research)
- The Full Manifesto: in a nutshell... Vero is setting out to be what the other social networks are lacking. Pointing out the fact that Facebook and Instagram choose who sees what. How overtime they've chosen what we see of friends/followers.
"THE GREATEST SOCIAL NETWORK IS THE ONE THAT ALREADY EXISTS BETWEEN PEOPLE." - Vero
- Free for the first million, then it's subscription based. They'll be charging to stay advertising free.
- Brands and business will be able to sell via VERO with a fee to utilize the BUY NOW button.
- Your Feed: is not manipulated by an algorithm. you will be shown the posts of those you follow.
- Based on their terms of service they are forthcoming with what info they are collecting from you and how they are using it.
- VIA VERO: WHY VERO SMARTER SOCIAL
Vero is a social network for anyone who loves anything enough to share it – and wants control over who they share it with. Just like we do in real life.
My recommendation for you, it's up to you. As a user, you can create an account and delete it or chose not to use it. For your business, at this point, it appears all accounts are the same. I don't see business pages vs. accounts. There's nothing to take action on at this very second. On behalf of our clients and students, we are monitoring this closely to maximize further opportunities.
Here is the Vero story: